Dear Church Family,
With the new Corona (COVID-19) virus concerns, I wanted to E-mail you with the latest update regarding our church, services, activities and other information. The governor today has extended school closures to April 28th and restricted all public gatherings to less than 25 people. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is also advising people to keep gatherings below ten persons. Libraries and other public institutions have been shut down and restaurants are restricted to take-out service. There are no easy solutions, but we have come up with a plan we hope will continue to minister to you. We so appreciate your flexibility, understanding and prayers. We have taken these steps out of love and concern for you and your health and to honor the state directives.
- All Church worship services and meetings (except our on-line worship service through YouTube) are being canceled until late April. This includes all Bible studies and small groups, AIM practices, AWANA, Gate activities, youth and children’s events, all Sunday school, senior events, potlucks, ministry planning meetings and any other events at First Baptist church. This date is in keeping with school and other public institution closures. Our hope is that the date can be shortened, and we are looking forward to a special celebration Sunday when we gather back together again! In the meantime, please contact the church or your ministry leader if you have questions.
- Our 11 AM Sunday worship service is being streamed through YouTube. Be sure to be a part of our on-line worship service this week. Pastor Mike will continue his series on the life of Christ along with some special messages. You can find the service by copying into your browser this link:
You can also:
- Go directly to YouTube.com
- Type “Independence First Baptist” into the search feature
- Click on “Live Stream” or the green circle with the “F” in the middle
- Click on the date for that day’s service.
- Sermon Transcripts can be mailed by postal mail: If you would like to receive a weekly sermon manuscript of Pastor Mike’s message, please call the church office and we will send you one each week.
- Groups needing to meet can use our new ZOOM account. For those groups still wanting or needing to meet, we have set up a special ZOOM account that allows for live video conferences and meetings from your home or phone. It’s easy to use! Please call the church office and we’ll get you set up!
- Service for Tom Wells: In keeping with state directives and at the request of the family, we are postponing the service for Tom Wells that was scheduled for this Saturday (March 21st) until a later time.
- The Church Office: If you have a need from the church office, please call first before stopping by out of concern for our office staff. There will be someone answering the phones from 9 AM to 1 PM Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Prayer Requests: If you have a prayer request, please call the church office or submit those on our website or face book page. We will continue to publish the prayer letter each week.
- Offerings: We appreciate your faithful tithes and offerings even during this temporary time of adjustment. We are continuing to support our missionaries and staff and to pay for facility expenses. You can mail your offering to our PO Box or please call the office if you would like to drop it by.
The Church address is:
First Baptist Church
PO Box 416
Independence, Oregon 97351
We are also working on an on-line giving feature that should be up by the end of the week. Just go to our web site or face book page and follow the links.
- Pastoral Care: Pastor Mike, the Elders and other staff are here to help! If you have a need or question, please do call the church office and let us know. (503 838 –1001)
- Information Updates: We will continue to send out e-mails and post information on our website (independencefirstbaptist.com) and Facebook page. Please check these regularly for the latest updates.
Our goal is to minister in the safest and healthiest way we possibly can. Our hope is that these restrictions can be changed soon. We know this is a different situation than we have faced before, but one that God will provide His grace and guidance for us! The Psalmist tells us:
Psalm 31:24 (AMP)
24 Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for and hope for and expect the Lord!
Let us continue to trust the Lord and live for Him, being careful and wise during these times and remembering that our days and hours are in His hands!
Have a healthy and safe week!